Reflections “Within Reach” Entries Due
October 16 - October 20
Reflections “Within Reach”
Reflections is a national PTA-sponsored program encouraging students to express themselves by giving positive recognition for their artistic efforts. BHE students are invited to create and submit works of art (on a specified theme) in six categories:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Musical Composition
- Visual Arts
Students may submit multiple entries in any given category or in multiple categories. This year’s theme is “Within Reach”
The works of art will be divided into 3 divisions for judging:
- Primary (Kinder-2nd grade)
- Intermediate (grades 3-5)
- Middle (grades 6-8)
There is also a Special Artist Division for students with disabilities who receive services under IDEA or Section 504. The top entries in each category may advance to compete at the Regional-State-National PTA levels. The works of art are judged on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit
- Mastery of the medium
- Interpretation of the theme
Judging is primarily focused on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme.
For more information, please review the General Student Participation Rules and the rules for the specific category for which the student wishes to enter: http://www.txpta.org/reflectio
- Dance Choreography – DVD of dance performance must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1GB.
- Film Production – Video must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1GB.
- Literature – Entries must not exceed 2,000 words and may be handwritten or typed.
- Musical Composition – Music recording must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1GB. (Videos are not accepted.)
- Photography – A single photo, panoramic, photomontage, multiple exposure, negative sandwich, and photogram are accepted. Entries must not exceed 11 x 14 inches, including any matting.
- Visual Arts – All art must be flat (2D) and no 3D objects are allowed to be glued on. Entries must not exceed 24 x 30 inches, including any matting.
The National PTA also requires that the student or at least one person from their primary household must be a current member of the Local PTA/PTSA where the student is participating. Each student must also complete a Student Entry Form for each piece of art. The Student Entry Forms are available at the website listed above and will also be available in the BHE office. The final deadline for entries is Friday, October 20th.
A Reflections Box will be placed in the BHE office from October 16th – October 20th to collect the work. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Rachel Noffke. Go art!